As you can remember from my post, Cryptocoin Mining, hardware with powerful computing is needed to mine cryptocurrencies with a remarkable profit. I have mentioned ASIC block erupters, which can be connected via USB, and their high hashrate for mining. I made a quick research on eBay for block erupters, and saw that they are very popular. I joined one auction and won my block erupter at a price of 83 $. Yesterday I got it:
The block erupter is very easy to use. It has a nominal hashrate of 330 MH/s, operating at 2.5 W (500 mA) and 50 °C. In order to use it, you have to install the required drivers and use a proper miner. CGMiner and BFGMiner are the best for this purpose, with the latter being easier to use.
- Download CGMiner or BFGMiner.
- Download and install block erupter COM driver from here.
- Plug in the block erupter. Once you have properly installed the driver and your erupters are plugged in, they will appear in "Devices and Printers" on your computer. Make a note of what COM port the device is connected to.
- If you will use CGMiner, run cgminer-nongpu.exe instead of cgminer.exe. You can make a shortcut and add the following in the target box of the shortcut, which you can access by right-clicking the shortcut and selecting "Properties":
cgminer-nogpu.exe -o [pool]:[port] -u [username_worker] -p [password] --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S //./COM(X) -S //./COM(Y) -S //./COM(Z) etc.
Here, COM(X), COM(Y), COM(Z) denotes the COM ports your erupters are using, which you made a note of in the previous step.
- Start CGMiner from the shortcut or the command line with the necessary options. You should be seeing the familiar screen of the miner if you make the configurations correctly.
- For BFGMiner, it is not required to put the COM ports section of the options in the target box. After creating a shortcut for BFGMiner, just add the following in the target box of the shortcut:
-o [pool]:[port] -u [username_worker] -p [password] -G* -S all --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100
* If not using a graphics card on the same machine
- Start BFGMiner from the shortcut or the command line with the necessary options. You should be seeing the familiar screen of the miner if you make the configurations correctly.
You can also join the pool of CEX.IO, which is GHash.IO, by directing your block erupter to their pool. You can get the directions for doing this on the pool's page. Of course, you need to open a free account on CEX.IO first.
It is important to note one last thing about the erupter: Which cryptocurrencies can you mine with it?
The answer is simple: You can only mine coins with SHA-256 algorithm with the erupter. These include Bitcoin, Peercoin, Namecoin and some others. Unfortunately, you cannot mine coins with Scrypt algorithm with the erupter, so you will not be able to mine Litecoin, Feathercoin and others with Scrypt algorithm. You can get information on which coins have which algorithm and a nice profit calculater on Cryptocoin Mining Information.
Good luck with your mining adventure and see you soon!